Peaks and valleys. Rough and smooth. Successes and failures. Not every experiment in my art journal is going to be a success. Indeed, most are probably lacking in some way but that’s acceptable to me because they are just experiments and my art journals are for relaxation and play. Some pages, however, are just abject failures. This is one such page. I almost didn’t blog about it because it is so bad but every failure is a learning opportunity so here it is.
My Rainbow Art Journal is a work in progress, evolving all the time. Some pages I complete from start to finish but others are more dynamic and shifting, emerging from leftover paint smooshed here, scraps of collage pasted there, until ultimately I decide what to do with that page. This page had had lots of red, yellow, and orange paint scraped onto it. I had also had to slap on some washi tape to reinforce the perforations. It was a pretty ugly base layer but it was something to work on. Incidentally, the background colour is much more orange than it appears in the photo. I think the metallics throw the camera off. Anyway, unfortunately I didn’t manage to lose the ugly. I painted on a beetle in a pearlescent yellow. The shimmer was nice but the whole thing looked washed out in comparison to the background colours. I, therefore, smudged on some gold to make the beetle a bit warmer in hue and add yet more shimmer. The idiom “You can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear” came to mind. I added some ink and some paint pen for detailing. Nope. Still ugly. That’s when I decided that I hated this page and that I was investing no more time in it. Time to abandon it and call it quits. On to new and hopefully better pages.