Frankenstein’s Bunny

The great thing about art journaling is that it allows me to experiment with new things on a small, manageable scale.  I can mess around with new media, try a new approach, play with a new style and in doing so discover what things I enjoy, what things I am good at, what things are really not me and what things might have some potential for me.  The thing I appreciate about prompts, therefore, is that they give me the shove I need to do something way out of my comfort zone or out of my field of knowledge and experience.

This week’s prompts for the Documented Life Project were just such a shove.  The phrase was “All that I’m after is life full of laughter” and the art challenge was stitching.  Stitching.  Ugh.  As I have shared before, I am not a textile artist.  I can neither knit, sew or crochet.  I have no aptitude for it and I consequently don’t enjoy it.  I actually avoid sewing as much as possible.  I replace buttons, take up hems, do minor clothing repairs but the whole time I am doing so I am aggravated which is not the mood I want to be in when I am doing something creative.

I could have avoided using textiles at all in my response to the DLP prompt but I decided to see what happened when I got out of my comfort zone this particular time because in the small scale of an art journal my potential frustration levels could be minimised.  I could tell myself, “This will all be over soon”.  I knew I did not want to make sewing a big deal on my page, however, and to just use it as an element.  I mulled over the phrase prompt for a while but nothing came to me.  I chose to just ponder the stitching element and what came to my mind’s eye was Frankenstein’s Monster – the Karloff version – all stitched together.  ‘Frankenstein’ is one of my favourite novels and the 1931 film is one of my favourite movies of all time – and in fact both have featured in a previous art journal page – so I decided to go with that thought and see what came of it.

Perhaps because I have been working on my Crazy Critters series of 100 artworks, the idea morphed in my mind into a bunny version of Frankenstein’s Monster.  I painted the bunny in watercolour on watercolour paper and then used some red thread from my sewing kit to stitch patterns into his body.  I did not plan the position of the stitches so I just went with the flow, trying to maintain some sort of balance.  I then adhered the watercolour paper into my art journal using some decorative tape.  I think it turned out to be a pretty fun page.

Week 20 - Stitches