This week’s Documented Life Project prompt was to “add a tab”. I was instantly uninspired. I don’t partake of the planner element of the project, for a few reasons, and it seemed like adding tabs was more appropriate for the planner element of the project than the art journal element. I was at a loss. I actually considered just skipping the week entirely.
Then I had an idea.
It has been a while since my kids had collaborated with me as part of the DLP. They have worked with me on two previous pages: one where they started the drawing and then I completed it and one where I had to incorporate a pocket. I decided, therefore, that the surest way of me becoming inspired was to work with my boys on the prompt. We decided upon a Halloween theme since we just celebrated Halloween on Friday. And school photos. We just received the kids’ school photos. They were not great and honestly I probably would have asked for retakes had it not been for the fact that we got drenched in a rainstorm on the walk home from school on the day they were issued with led to the photos being in less than pristine condition and, therefore, unreturnable. Monstrous school photos of cute monsters. That was my idea.
I drew four little kid monsters, from the classic movie monster range, as if they were having their photos taken. I drew a vampire, a werewolf, a mummy and a lagoon creature. I used watercolour and ink to colour and outline. Then came the tab element and my children’s input. I cut four tabs to correspond to the four monster characters and decorated them with a line of very thin washi tape to add some colour. I then used some arrow stamps to indicate the direction in which each tab should be lifted. I stamped the obverse side with some sugar skulls just to add to the Halloween theme further and to make the lifted side of the tabs more decorative. My kids’ contribution was that each was asked to draw something of their choice onto the tab that indicated who would be found beneath. My 5 year old drew a bat for the vampire, my 7 year old drew a moon and the word “howl” using a hairy font for the werewolf, my 9 year old drew a sarcophagus for the mummy and my 11 year old drew a fish for the swamp creature.
So I went from completely uninspired to inspired by including my boys in my prompt page.
This was not the only art project I worked on this week. I also created a lino block print of Danae which you can read about and see over at my Art Blog, Pict Ink.
You must be logged in to post a comment.