It may have taken me a week to view and then work through the final lesson of the Let’s Face It course but I got it done and, therefore, despite having skipped a few lessons, have completed the course. I feel a mixture of accomplishment and relief. I feel relief because trying to stay on top of all my art commitments while solo parenting and working has become a bit of a source of pressure, another thing to cram into my already bulging schedule. But mostly I feel like I have achieved something by undertaking and completing this course over the past 12 months. When I compare the faces I was painting in January with those I am painting now, I definitely think there has been an improvement in my ability to construct faces – still a lot of progress to be made but definite steps in the right direction. I have also learned a few more techniques and approaches with painting and mixed media to keep experimenting with and developing.
This then is my response to the final lesson of the course. I thought I would share a few progress shots since I actually remembered to take some for once. I can see that the eyes started off slightly different sizes, a flaw that was magnified as I added each new layer so that finally the eyes have ended up pretty wonky. Otherwise, however, I am fairly happy with this painting so I get to end on a positive note.