The last of the “catch up” Life Book lessons I tackled was a lesson by Tamara Laporte entitled Layers of You. I actually had to watch the videos in five different sessions because of time constraints and interruptions. The great thing about the actual creation, however, was that it lent itself to being broken down into chunks so that I could work on it over a few days.
The lesson involved constructing a collage that would become the scaffolding of the painting. Part of the collage was to be a face, perhaps a torso and limbs, clipped from a magazine which would then underpin the creation of a figure in the painting. Annoyingly, despite using good quality gel medium and a decent layer of clear gesso, my collage layer did bubble a little once I started adding the paint layer. However, I really enjoyed the methodolgy of the lesson. I just need to practice applying it a bit better. We were encouraged to take a photo of the collage layer to use as reference so I shall share that stage here so you can see what the foundation of my painting looked like.
I have been working in cool hues a lot lately – I am sure you have noted a preponderance of blue – so I deliberately decided to change things up for this lesson. It is the height of summer here so I opted for a summery palette of bright yellow, oranges, reds and a splash of violet. As you can see, I stuck quite closely to the facial shape and bone structure of the model in the collaged advert but I completely changed her hair. I had initially planned on working with the original short crop but I felt the composition needed that sweep of violet to create a stronger division between the background and the little bit of torso area. In Tamara Laporte’s video, she filled the background with all sorts of text, doodles and whimsical details. That approach didn’t feel right for me, not for this piece at least, so I pondered what to do with the background to give it a bit more oomph. Following discussions with some artist friends, I decided to go with spatters of yellow, red and violet paint.
I am really quite pleased with how this painting turned out but I will definitely have to avoid the bubbling problem when I try this paint over collage technique again.